9:14 AM

Tables are round, like a circle

A woman in a strange incomprehensible european accent asks me if I'm from South America. "No, I'm from Mexico". "Yeah, South America", she says. Well, it was either that or "Yeah, sounds like Erica"... Again, her accent was strange and that wouldn't make sense... so I assume she said 'south america'.

So I just sit back and quietly sigh, flabbergasted at her ignorance, not only for her inability to construct a coherent sentence, for her inability to tell the north from the south. Honestly, I can understand when they say Central America (because technically 1/3 of Mexico IS in Central America), but South??? Really? South? Come on...

And then my attention turns to the comedian we're supposed to be interviewing at this round table, although it rather seems like he's practicing a new routine on us. (It was good, I have to say). He's a short "latino" type... mexican they would say, though he seems a lot more Chicano to me... And I think man, how hard they have it. Because I don't see him as a fellow mexican, not by a long shot, and Americans certainly do not see them as americans either... so they're like their own community with no real country... the true citizens of the world, right? Immigrants who never fully really immigrated. Like they moved countries, but everything stayed the same...

And then I think, "yeah, this isn't new... they made a couple of movies about it... from American Me with the great admiral Adama, to, of course, Seleena (cause that's how they pronounced it, even though it clearly should be selEna.. like the 'e' in bed, not seed) and when I think about it, edward james olmos was also in that..." And I'm just not ¡t sure where that leaves Blade Runner... you know?Up next: Chicken yo' mama

0 comments:

Post a Comment